Monday, November 1, 2010

How Do I know What I Know?

Most of what we believe is based on the physical. What we can touch, feel, hear, see. A part of the seeing aspect of that is coupled with that which we have read and been taught (hearing obviously). Reading is the way which we are taught about the vast ammount of things that we have no way of actually witnessing. Those facts that we intake are then reinforced by someone who we trust as an authority figure or educator. These things are from there, taken in as fact, and not questioned. I reason that people are often reluctant to question what they are taught because they doubt their own knoweldge of the subject or are entirely ignorant of it. It is as the saying goes, "Those who satnd for nothing fall for anything." This is not to say that those people are always easily swayed out of sloth, but also to suggest that one should not be so eager to learn, that they take everything handed to them, from whatever source, as fact. I have, on several occasion, fallen victim  to an over-eagerness to learn from those who I've encountered. This is where the pursuit of knowledge becomes dangerous. As I considered myself a student of all those around me, I was neglecting the fact that not everyone has the best intentions. Reflecting on this lead me to be more careful giving individuals the role of my educator.

No comments:

Post a Comment